Looking for something unique to add to your bedroom décor, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg? We are here to show you how to DIY a custom-print bed pillow (or a set of them!) so that you can get exactly what you want.
Pro tip: This project is GREAT for kids! Whether you are teaching your children to sew or just want something quick and easy to teach a 4-H class, you have stumbled on the perfect blog post.
If you find that you (or your child) need more help along the way, we offer pre-cut kits for this project that can be shipped right to your door!
If you are in the Spokane, Washington, area, head to the events tab of our website and find a Sip N Sew that showcases this project for tons of fun, precut materials, some personal guidance, and one-on-one help. Let's get started...
Materials Needed and Cutting the Pieces
- 1 yard of your main fabric. Trim to one piece of 10 in. by 42 in. And one piece of 26 in. by 42 in.
- 3 in. of your accent fabric. Trim to one piece of 3 in. by 42 in.
- Pin the large piece, “hamburger” fold, right sides together, and sew 2 of the edges. We are creating a rectangle with only one open end. Turn right side out. Set aside.
- Fold the 10 in. wide piece, “hamburger” fold, right sides together, and pin the short edge together. Sew just this edge. Press seam open.
- Fold and press, “hotdog” fold, all the way around this loop that you created. Set aside.
- Fold the 3 in. piece, “hamburger” fold, right sides together, and pin the short edge together. Sew just this edge. Press open.
- Fold and press, “hotdog” fold, all the way around this loop that you created.
- Pin the raw edges (still folded together) to the raw edges of the folded 10 in. piece.
- Pin the raw edges of these pinned pieces to the right side of the large rectangular piece, making sure the 3 in. piece is sandwiched between the other two pieces. Sew all the way around. Press.
- Voilà! Success!